Sunday, June 5, 2016

Skinny Oatmeal Eggless Pancakes (Vegan!)





Hello my loves,

Anyone who knows me is well aware of my love for food and cooking. Yes, I am a foodie with a capital F. Cooking is one of my favorite things in the world, it's like therapy. Lately I've been trying to get in shape for summer and shed a few pounds and I'm generally working towards improving my lifestyle and finding a balance between eating healthy, working out and indulging.

I'm not the kind of person who can restrict themselves too much. I love my burgers, my fries and no, there's nothing better than a bowl of buttery pasta with freshly grated parmesan (courgetti will never come near close enough). However, after eating too much of this stuff you just feel shitty. So I'm simply trying to follow an 80-20 analogy (as in 80% healthy food, 20% not-so-healthy food) which is sustainable and healthy (for me).

While trying to tone up a bit, I found that breakfast is actually the trickiest meal of them all. All the breakfast foods I like are very carb heavy and that's not the right way to start your day. I'm not the biggest fan of eggs in the a.m. and I can't have yogurt and fruit for breakfast every single morning. So I cooked up (literally) a way to eat clean while gorging on one of my favorite breakfasts: pancakes!

Seriously, a plate of stacked fluffy warm pancakes with butter and maple syrup is as comforting as it gets. But it's also loaded with calories. My take is a little lighter while very energizing and filling.


INGREDIENTS

serves 1 person


1/2 cup oat flour (you can make it by processing oats in a blender)
1/2 cup almond milk (or any type of non-dairy milk you prefer)
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp brown sugar or sweetener of your choice
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt


INSTRUCTIONS


Mix all the dry ingredients (oat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in a bowl.

Add the wet ingredients (milk, oil and vanilla) slowly and stir together to combine.

Let the mixture sit for a few minutes (you can also prepare it the night before and let it rest overnight) so it thickens up a bit.

Heat your griddle or non-stick pan which you have greased properly (you can grease it with cooking spray or butter or canola oil if vegan).

Scoop out a small portion of the pancake batter and pour it on the pan. Your heat should be a medium 6 on a scale of 1-10.  If there's room for more pancakes in your pan add more but make sure there's enough space between them so they don't stick together. Cook 3 minutes per side. You'll know the pancake is ready to flip if the edges start to appear sallow and bubbles form at the top. A silicone spatula also helps "loosen" the pancake from the pan.

Serve warm with whichever toppings you prefer.



Please do let me know how they turn out if you try them! Which are you favorite healthy breakfasts?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to read and comment on this post. I love listening to your feedback. Take care. XOXO