Hello my lovely people,
As I was doing my makeup the other day I was thinking of which products can see me through from school to bar and which do I prefer for makeup on the go. Which ones do I run to whenever I'm in a rush and just want to get the job done? Which ones can I just pop in my purse and use at school for a quick touch up before I go to dinner?
And from a simple necessity came an idea for this blog post. Let's be honest, smoky eyes and elaborate makeup looks are lovely but sometimes, you don't have 1 hour to spare and the comfort of your own bathroom to do your makeup properly. Most of us just want to look presentable after a 9-to-5 shift so we can grab a drink with friends without having to carry a huge makeup kit around. I for example can never be bothered to carry makeup brushes with me. 99% of the time I just throw my lipstick in my bag and run to catch the bus.
So in this post I will attempt to present you my absolute favorites that are easy to carry in your bag, unfussy and create a lovely look in a pinch.
L'Oreal Nude Magique Cushion Foundation
I've already done a pretty thorough review on this but for the sake of this post I will highlight how wonderful this is for touch ups. It has a mirror and a puff to go with it so it's absolutely handbag-friendly. Just pat on the areas where you feel your foundation has faded or under the eyes to brighten up your face.
Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso
This has been talked about so many times in the beauty blogosphere but there's a pretty solid reason why. This product can breathe life into a sallow complexion in no time. It blends so smoothly and the delicate shimmer adds a pretty sheen to your cheeks without looking all discoball-like. It also includes a mirror and a little brush that actually isn't horrible.
Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad To The Bronze
As you can witness, I've beaten this to death. It gives such a wonderful metallic sheen to the lids and looks uber sophisticated. It's incredibly foolproof and easy to put on and you need zero brushes.
Benefit Creaseless Cream in Holy Smokes
This product delivers the easiest smoky eye in the world. It blends like a dream and sets to a bulletproof finish. The deep gunmetal shade can be worn either sheer for a more subtle look or layered for a sultrier eye. You could even use this as liner with an eyeliner brush.
Kiko eyeshadow stick in 05
They say this one is nearly identical to By Terry's Ombre Blackstar in Misty Rock. It's a gorgeous affordable plummy brown that almost gives a wet look to the lids. Formula is sparkly but in an elegant way and wears well through several hours. Super easy to apply from the stick and blend.
Dior Lip Glow Color Reviver Balm
I've raved on and on about this magical lip balm, I'm only gonna repeat myself at this point but this is hands down the best lip product I've ever used. With one swipe lips look rosier, glossier, fuller. No need for liners, plumpers or any effort at all. You can put this one without a mirror and it still looks fabulous. Why? Because although it looks as if it's a no color balm, the minute you put it on it adjusts to the PH of your lips and creates your "own" rosy shade. Will repurchase til the end of time.
Korres Lip Butter in Quince
As you can probably tell, I tend to favor balmy lippies when I'm on the go because they don't require any work. This one is so incredibly moisturizing on the lips, it feels super comfortable and leaves a beautiful corally stain behind. It's kind of a more fun shade that you can easily build up for a semi-opaque finish.
Maybelline Baby Lips in Peach Kiss
A couple of years ago people were all over these, what happened? This one glides on the lips like butter, keeps them nourished and gives off a lovely sheen with a hint of shimmer. I love wearing this one on top of lip liner too. It's a perfect nude shade that compliments a smoky eye very expertly.
Rimmel Professional Eyebrow Pencil
When it comes to brows, there isn't something to recommend specifically for on-the-go beauty because most brow products don't take up a lot of space and are quite portable - pencils, pens and setting gels especially. This happens to be the one I'm using at the moment and I love the little brush that's attached to the cap. That's one less tool to carry around!
Givenchy Mister Light Corrective Pen
Highlighting pens aren't new but they definitely come in handy for touch-ups. A few strokes using the built-in brush under the eyes, on the bridge of the nose, on the cupid's bow and cheekbones will make you look refreshed and awake in seconds. Another great option I love is MAC's Prep + Prime Highlighter Pen (I use Radiant Rose).
ZARA Eau De Toilette roller pen in Joyful Tuberose
Perfume in roller pen form is one of the coolest inventions ever. It's the total handbag must-have. This particular one from ZARA was such an unexpected find. It's a sweet, girly scent that's flirty and sophisticated. It's mostly floral with some candy notes as well. It's a perfect "date" scent. I might get a full bottle because I love it so much. And it's dirt cheap!
|left: Kiko 05 / middle: Maybelline Bad To The Bronze / right: Benefit Holy Smokes|
|left: Dior Lip Glow / middle: Maybelline Peach Kiss / right: Korres Quince|
Some extra TIPS...
- Always carry cotton buds with you. They are such lifesavers. I use them mostly to remove any smudges from eye makeup and lips.
- If you've been wearing lipstick since the morning and have residue on your lips it's better to take it off completely and reapply, than just reapply over it. If you just apply over it, you'll most likely end up with uneven, patchy color. Use a tissue or cotton bud with some lip balm to lightly exfoliate the lips and create a clean, smooth canvas.
- Avoid reapplying mascara. Unless your mascara has really worn off, reapplying usually results in spiky, spidery, clumpy lushes. If you feel like you absolutely have to, make sure you roll off the wand on a tissue to wipe off the excess.
- Wash your hands before and after! I know this sounds a bit obvious but it's so crucial when you're on the go, in a public bathroom or just hastily applying makeup at work before you head off to dinner: most of these products require nothing but your fingers for application so make sure they're squeaky clean. And of course don't forget to wash them afterwards too!
- Use a makeup bag to keep your purse nice and tidy. I'm quite sure some of you must have had a lipstick or an eyeshadow open and spill all over your handbag. A small practical makeup bag will eliminate the damage.
- If you don't have powder at hand and you're out of the house, you can easily blot away oiliness with some toilet paper. It sounds a bit weird but honestly any tissue works. If you do have powder, blot and apply.
What are your on-the-go faves? I'd love to know!